Monday, March 21, 2011

The Story

Let me begin by introducing myself.  My name is Joanna, I am nearly 28 years old (will be 28 on April 5) and I just celebrated my two year wedding anniversary on March 7.  About a year after we were married, my husband (Johnny) and I decided that we wanted to start "trying."  I never knew "trying" could be so difficult.  I went off the pill in March 2010; however, we used condoms for about a month -- and then threw all caution to the wind in April!  We were excited to expand our family.  It was amazing how ready we were -- mentally, financially, the whole nine yards. 

Now, here we are... about a year later and nothing.  I told myself that if we hadn't conceived by December 2010, I would start charting my temperature.  I've since been doing so since mid-December.  Just recently, I starting using ovulation tests (Clear Blue, I think).  I even ordered a fertility-friendly lubricant (as "trying" so much can often get a little difficult) and something called FertiliTEA (containing Vitex).  I've been using the last three products for about a month now. 

I have yet to go to the doctor -- to address my fertility concerns.  One of my best friends had difficulty conceiving (though now she is the proud mother of an adorable seven-month-old boy) and she said that you're not considered "infertile" until it's been a year of "trying."  So, we're approaching that year and I know I'm going to have to face the music. 

It's difficult because my mother conceived on the first try for both my sister and me.  When discussing this issue, she always has the same response -- "Be patient" -- "It'll happen" -- "When you stop trying, it'll happen."  This "advice" is getting a little tiring as she has never had this trouble.  And besides, how am I supposed to trop "trying"?  I don't want to.

Anyway... there's the short of it.  So, here I am -- completely honest and open -- hoping to share stories and find encouragement and advice. 

- Joanna

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I am also from a VERY fertile family. My grandmother had 5 kids, her last when she was freaking 41! One of my aunts has 3 kids, a cousin is preggo with her 3rd, my mom had my sister & I will no difficulty. I did get pregnant & have my son, but I was 20 then! Haven't been able to successfully repeat that magic since. But, it is good to go see your doc and try to get answers. It is scary at first because you are afraid of what you might find out, but information is empowering. :) Good luck to ya and welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete